The municipality is located at the foot of Monte Gatta, in the Apennines, on the border with Tuscany, in a prominent area that offers a wonderful view of the Brasimone valley. In the centre of the town stands the ancient Palazzo Pepoli, built towards the end of the 15th century and now the seat of the municipal administration.
On the opposite side of the square stands the beautiful Public Clock Tower built in 1724.
Of interest are the Old Church dedicated to Our Lady of Consolation or Madonna of the Girdle, the oldest place of worship in Castiglione dei Pepoli dating back to the 17th century and the Church of San Lorenzo, the patron saint of Castiglione dei Pepoli (16th century).
It is worth visiting the Shrine of the Madonna in Bocca di Rio, Baragazza, one of the most famous shrines in the Apennines and a destination for pilgrims from all over Italy.